Snow Closure Information
Sierra College Nevada County Campus
Call (530) 274-5300 for NCC campus snow closure information.
- Updates to the Nevada County Campus Alert Line will be made by 6:00 a.m. for daytime classes and by 4:00 p.m. for evening classes.
- Updates will be posted on the Sierra College NCC Facebook page
- Local and regional radio and television stations (locally AM 830 KNCO and FM 89.5 KVMR) are notified. If campus has not yet opened, notifications to the media are made by 6:00 a.m. If campus must close during operational hours, the media is notified immediately.
- While decisions and notifications will be made as timely as possible, there may be times when campus must close on short notice (i.e. weather conditions worsen unexpectedly, power outages occur, etc.). You are encouraged to check resources often for the most current information.
- Any time there is inclement weather, employees and students should use their best discretion in deciding whether they can safely travel to and from campus.
Sierra College Truckee Campus
Call (530) 550-2255 for TRUCKEE campus snow closure information.
- Updates to the Truckee main line will be made by 8:30 a.m. for daytime classes and by 3:00 p.m. for evening classes.
- Check the Facebook page or campus website to determine if campus is closed.
- General “rule of thumb” for campus closure is two or more highways leading into the basin under R2 conditions (chains or 4WD w/ snow tires). In particular, snow days are determined by the status of Highway 89 from Tahoe City to Truckee, Highway 267 from Kings Beach to Truckee, and I-80 from Reno to Truckee. Road status is checked at 3:00 p.m.
- For information on road conditions, call CalTrans Highway Information network at (800) 427-7623, or visit their website at www.dot.ca.gov or www.nvroads.com.